Who is permitted to drive your vehicles?


Driving with the policyholders authority is no longer an automatic benefit of a motor trade policy.

Author: Lawjaw
Reading time: 3 minutes

This article is 6 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

There is occasionally a misconception amongst motor traders that a certificate of motor insurance permits any authorised driver to use any vehicle which is held in the policyholder’s care, custody or control.

Insurance companies have sought to limit their liability in recent years in order to counter road risk claims caused by family members and/or young drivers with no connection to the business. “Driving with the policyholders authority” is no longer an automatic benefit of a motor trade policy.

Business Use

Business use is self-explanatory and will include scenarios such collection and delivery of parts, road tests and demonstration. However, the age of your driver should be checked as all insurers have a different definition of what age is considered to be a “young driver”.

Social, Domestic and Pleasure

S,D&P is typically included for Directors and managers enabling them to use pool cars outside of business hours and for private use. S,D&P may also be extended to include the Employee’s spouse or even friends and family. Some insurers will consider a vehicle that is taken home in the evening as outside of business hours and therefore S,D&P use must be obtained even if the vehicle is not technically used for pleasure purposes. EG. Delivery to a customer the next morning.

Privately Owned Vehicles

Insurers will often include a privately owned vehicle if it is driven by a Director or senior person within the business. However, a named motor certificate may be required for vehicle taxation purposes.

Insurance Act 2015

It is imperative that the Principal regularly reviews who will be driving their vehicles. With the Insurance Act 2015 becoming law in August this year, insurers will have greater authority to decline or partially settle a claim if they feel that the risk has been misrepresented by the Insured.

Underwriting Considerations

o    The number of staff driving for business use only and the number requiring S,D&P use

o    Do any of the drivers have penalty points on their license? How often does the Employer check the validity of the license? Post Insurance Act, August 2016, an annual check of the staff license may no longer be sufficient

o    Have all incidents which may give rise to or resulted in a claim been declared?

o    Will any employees under the age of 25 be asked to drive powerful vehicles? Insurers tend to limit “young drivers” to vehicles with a maximum capacity of 1600cc and below

o    Have you declared the correct number of Trade Plates?

If in doubt as to what information should be declared to your insurer, consult your broker.

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.