Driving a vehicle under the Driving Other Cars extension on your insurance policy

legal updates

Always make sure that you have the appropriate cover on any vehicle that you or your business use as it could be much more costly than you think.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

It is always worth being reminded that the Driving Other Cars (DoC) extension to the Motor Trader’s insurance policy does not usually offer the same level of protection as the cover on the vehicles involved in the business.

You may be use to simply using one of the cars which you are selling for business. These vehicles will be covered comprehensively with social, domestic and pleasure cover as well as business use. However, on this occasion, you need to drop the kids off at the pool then go and visit a potential seller. The car you would normally take is about to be seen by a customer who is due in.

So, for convenience, you borrow a friend’s car and tell them you have DoC cover in the event that anything happens.  After taking the children swimming, you head over to the seller and are involved in an accident that is not only your fault, but also causes a lot of damage to the other driver’s car and potential injury.

Firstly, your friend’s car will only be covered on a third party basis, so you’ll need to repair or replace that vehicle but potentially more serious, will be when your motor insurer gets wind of the fact that you were using your friend’s car for work. Although they will still deal with any claim from the other driver and their passengers under the Road Traffic Act, they will be looking to you for payment of all damage, injury and solicitors’ costs as the policy could be voided for using the vehicle for a purpose that was not covered, as business use is generally not included in the DoC.

Always make sure that you have the appropriate cover on any vehicle that you or your business use as it could be much more costly than you think.


Need help with keeping on track with FCA Regulation and Compliance? Partner with Automotive Compliance

Darren FletcherLegal AdvisorRead More by this author

Related Legal Updates

Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!!

Should you receive a PCN, you must contact the DVLA with all the evidence you have so they can change the registered keeper on their database.

Advise the DVLA of any change of vehicle colour

Any change that makes a vehicle a predominantly different colour must be reported.

Customer’s vehicle damaged in your care

It is down to the Bailor to check the insurance position with the Bailee if they have any concerns.

Personal Injury Claims

Your insurers will know exactly what to do to ensure the rules are followed, and therefore, the Claimant will not win on a technicality.

Divorcing couples and their cars

The vast majority of cases are not theft. They are civil disputes and for this reason we would initially recommend speaking to a solicitor or Citizens Advice.

Insurers lose Business Interruption Insurance Appeal

Business Interruption insurance came to prominence in 2020 due to the policies which have cover for disruption caused by infectious/notifiable diseases.

DVLA prevent registration of new motorhomes

Current DVLA guidance states no paper applications for registration should be sent to it until further notice.

Get in touch

Complete the form to get in touch or via our details below:

01480 455500

Vinpenta House
High Causeway

By submitting this quote you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.