Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!!

legal updates

Should you receive a PCN, you must contact the DVLA with all the evidence you have so they can change the registered keeper on their database.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

They don’t all turn up with a camera crew, but unfortunately, we often get calls from our members advising the enforcement officers are on their way, and what can they do? The answer at that stage is often ”very little”.

These calls mostly stem from the DVLA having the wrong registered keeper on their database, so at the time of the offence, the trader is shown as still being the keeper of the vehicle. Consequently, a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) is sent to the trader, who sometimes simply forwards it to the new owner and assumes it has been dealt with.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

If payment is not received, then the issuer of the PCN will pursue the trader. If they pass the PCN to one of their debt recovery companies, then it can be sent to the Traffic Enforcement Centre (Tec) for issue. Each of these steps incurs a charge.

So, for example, the daily ULEZ fee is £12.50 a day, but failure to pay within three days can result in a PCN of £85 or thereabouts. And, if it gets to the enforcement stage, the amount to be paid is close to £300.

If the real keeper has been to London, say 10 times, the enforcement officers could be wanting you to pay £3,000 for fees of just £125.

So, whatever you do, don’t ignore a PCN!

Should you receive a PCN, you must contact the DVLA with all the evidence you have so they can change the registered keeper on their database. If possible, get written confirmation such as a signed letter from the new owner, and ask the DVLA to provide a letter for you confirming that you are not the registered keeper, and advising who now is. Then should any future PCN be issued, you can provide this letter to whoever you need to, if necessary.

As you will be aware, the DVLA have a significant backlog, and contacting them when the enforcement officers come calling is never going to get the matter resolved in time. Many of these agencies will only accept a letter from the DVLA confirming the correct keeper’s details.

So, act quickly! Don’t take your eye off the ball until you have the DVLA’s confirmation that their database has been amended.

Wearewood Services LtdMotor Trade Web Specialists

We offer an all-encompassing web, digital & design service specially tailored to the Motor Industry.

Darren FletcherLegal AdvisorRead More by this author

Related Legal Updates

Unlawful attempt to wind up car dealer’s company thwarted

The expression “petition” in the legal sense is where (usually) the creditor makes an application to the court.

Advise the DVLA of any change of vehicle colour

Any change that makes a vehicle a predominantly different colour must be reported.

Divorcing couples and their cars

The vast majority of cases are not theft. They are civil disputes and for this reason we would initially recommend speaking to a solicitor or Citizens Advice.

Driving a vehicle under the Driving Other Cars extension on your insurance policy

Always make sure that you have the appropriate cover on any vehicle that you or your business use as it could be much more costly than you think.

DVLA prevent registration of new motorhomes

Current DVLA guidance states no paper applications for registration should be sent to it until further notice.

COVID-19: Required documentation for test drives

We suggest looking at our Test Drive Agreements which can be used alongside driving licence checks.

COVID-19: Road user charging schemes temporarily suspended

For some critical workers, in the current circumstances, driving to work will be the simplest option, which is why the charges have been lifted.

Get in touch

Complete the form to get in touch or via our details below:

01480 455500

Vinpenta House
High Causeway

By submitting this quote you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.