Continuous cover for all motorised vehicles

legal updates

Exempt from the requirements of the Road Traffic Act or any EU insurance requirements.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

Some time ago, we reported on the unhappy development within the EU of a concept of a need for continuous insurance cover on all motorised devices, whether used on the public highway or on private ground.

It stemmed from the bizarre case of a certain Mr Vnuk, who was injured when a tractor trailer was reversed into his ladder inside a barn, leading to his injury. Until this incident it was accepted that certain vehicles, such as farm tractors used only in fields and farm yards, pure racing cars or motorbikes, Go-carts, motorised trolleys, etc were exempt from the requirements of the Road Traffic Act or any EU insurance requirements.  Following this case, the EU issued a new Motor Insurance Directive to be applied to anything motorised, whether used in the garden, in the yard or your front room! It specified that full RTA liability would apply to such machinery, including the need for proper insurance cover for third party risks.

In an instant, this directive created the farcical situation where any collision on a race track, a grass track or go-cart track would be treated as a road traffic offence and the proponent made liable to prosecution for an act of criminality. It would also mean that no vehicle could in future be used without adequate insurance cover. Those addicts of Grand Prix racing or Moto GP will have wondered if a normal Sunday race  would fill the prisons on Monday with Grand Prix drivers and world champion motor cyclists because of their daring deeds the day before!
Unusually for the EU, however, common sense seems to have prevailed, for the Parliamentary committee who created the Directive accepted this week, an amendment tabled by UK MEP Dan Dalton, to exempt motorsport from the ambit of the proposed legislation. It may also exclude use on private land. While this amendment has to be ratified by the full EU Parliament, it does appear now probable that the threat to our love of motorised sport or a need for continuous cover of devices not normally thought to require separate cover, has been lifted. It is not clear whether Segways, motorised trolleys and the like will also be exempt. Perhaps if they all were to be raced, they would be!

ECSC Group plcMore Secure

On average 55 vulnerabilities are identified daily.

What can I do?

Review your organisations priorities and ask ‘can we afford a breach?’. What do I do during an incident? Who do I involve? When do I involve the ICO?

If you’re unable to answers these questions, you need help from the experts.

Philip StricklandLegal AdvisorRead More by this author

Related Legal Updates

Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!!

Should you receive a PCN, you must contact the DVLA with all the evidence you have so they can change the registered keeper on their database.

Advise the DVLA of any change of vehicle colour

Any change that makes a vehicle a predominantly different colour must be reported.

Divorcing couples and their cars

The vast majority of cases are not theft. They are civil disputes and for this reason we would initially recommend speaking to a solicitor or Citizens Advice.

Driving a vehicle under the Driving Other Cars extension on your insurance policy

Always make sure that you have the appropriate cover on any vehicle that you or your business use as it could be much more costly than you think.

DVLA prevent registration of new motorhomes

Current DVLA guidance states no paper applications for registration should be sent to it until further notice.

COVID-19: Required documentation for test drives

We suggest looking at our Test Drive Agreements which can be used alongside driving licence checks.

COVID-19: Road user charging schemes temporarily suspended

For some critical workers, in the current circumstances, driving to work will be the simplest option, which is why the charges have been lifted.

Get in touch

Complete the form to get in touch or via our details below:

01480 455500

Vinpenta House
High Causeway

By submitting this quote you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.