What’s the penalty? Speeding fines from April 2017

legal updates

The maximum fine for speeding is £1,000 (or £2,500 on the motorway), and ones licence could be revoked.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

A Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) for speeding will result in three points and a £100 fine.

However, if the speed is sufficiently high for a summons to be issued, or if the FPN was rejected, the penalties could be much higher; the maximum fine for speeding is £1,000 (or £2,500 on the motorway), and ones licence could be revoked.

Fines for speeding changed on the 24 April 2017 and may be summarised as follows:

•    Band A – This refers to the lowest level of speeding.

For example, between 21mph and 30mph in a 20mph zone, or 31mph to 40mph in a 30mph zone, or 71mph to 90mph on a 70mph road, one can expect 3 points and a fine of around 50% of weekly income.

•    Band B – This is for more serious cases of speeding.

For example, between 31mph to 40mph in a 20mph zone, or 56mph to 65mph in a 40mph zone, or up to 100mph in a 70mph zone, one can expect 4 to 6 points, or disqualification for between 7 and 28 days, plus a fine of 100% of weekly income.

•    Band C – This is for the most egregious speeding.

For example, 41mph or above in a 20mph zone, 51mph or above in a 30mph zone, or above 100mph in a 70mph zone, one can expect 6 points or disqualification for between 7 and 56 days, plus a fine of 150% of weekly income.

Such fines are somewhat flexible. Mitigating circumstances (things that could reduce the penalty) include the establishment of a genuine emergency, a lack of previous convictions (or no relevant/recent convictions) and “good character”.


Leading experts in print, promotional clothing, staff uniforms, branded merchandise and PPE. Involution is your brand partner for promotional marketing and workwear, a one-stop-shop for your branded marketing needs for any business size and industry.

Aggravating factors (things that could increase the penalty) include certain previous convictions, speeding in bad weather, speeding in a lorry, bus or taxi, speeding while towing, speeding while driving for hire or reward, speeding with passengers, or speeding somewhere particularly inappropriate, i.e. near a school or crowded shopping street.

Be careful out there!

Howard TilneyHead of Strategy / Legal AdvisorRead More by this author

Related Legal Updates

Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!!

Should you receive a PCN, you must contact the DVLA with all the evidence you have so they can change the registered keeper on their database.

Advise the DVLA of any change of vehicle colour

Any change that makes a vehicle a predominantly different colour must be reported.

Divorcing couples and their cars

The vast majority of cases are not theft. They are civil disputes and for this reason we would initially recommend speaking to a solicitor or Citizens Advice.

Driving a vehicle under the Driving Other Cars extension on your insurance policy

Always make sure that you have the appropriate cover on any vehicle that you or your business use as it could be much more costly than you think.

DVLA prevent registration of new motorhomes

Current DVLA guidance states no paper applications for registration should be sent to it until further notice.

COVID-19: Required documentation for test drives

We suggest looking at our Test Drive Agreements which can be used alongside driving licence checks.

COVID-19: Road user charging schemes temporarily suspended

For some critical workers, in the current circumstances, driving to work will be the simplest option, which is why the charges have been lifted.

Get in touch

Complete the form to get in touch or via our details below:

01480 455500

Vinpenta House
High Causeway

By submitting this quote you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.