Replacement engines – beware of easy rejection claims!


If changes have been made to the engine size or fuel type then this may affect the vehicles tax.

Author: Roxanne Bradley
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 7 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

We’ve recently had a number of cases involving replacement engines on vehicles. If the work is being carried out by yourselves or you are paying for the work it is essential to remember to update the DVLA regarding the changes.

The V5C will need to be updated if any of the below changes have been made to the vehicle:

•    colour
•    engine
•    cylinder capacity (cc)
•    fuel type
•    replace or modify the chassis or bodyshell
•    seating capacity
•    weight of a goods vehicle
•    tax class changed to ‘disabled’

To update the DVLA, you will need to provide evidence or written confirmation of the changes to the vehicle. You’ll need to provide either:

•    a receipt for the replacement engine
•    written evidence from the manufacturer
•    an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
•    written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

How to tell the DVLA about the change, will depend on whether the change you’ve made on your registration certificate affects your vehicle tax.

If changes have been made to the engine size or fuel type then this may affect the vehicles tax. You will need to update the tax as well as updating the registration certificate.

If the change made doesn’t affect the vehicles tax or does affect the vehicle tax you will need to mark the changes on section 7 of the registration certificate and sign it. Then send the registration certificate with any necessary evidence to the DVLA.

If you fail to update the V5 and there is a discrepancy with the mileage on the vehicle, your customer may have a stronger case for rejection of the vehicle.

Roxanne Bradley

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.