Lose your plate?


If you are selling the cherished plate and are not the registered keeper of the vehicle, you must have the full consent of the registered keeper.

Author: Roxanne Bradley
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 7 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

Many people now have cherished plates on their vehicles and we wanted to clarify the guidance on how not to lose your clients plates!

To prevent unintentionally transferring a cherished plate with a sale, the most important rule to follow is that you must not sell the vehicle until you have received a new registrations certificate. If you do sell the vehicle before this has arrived, the new keeper of the vehicle will be entitled to keep the cherished plate. If this was to occur then the previous registered keeper may be able to pursue the cherished plate under a civil claim if they have not provided their consent of the title of ownership of the plate to pass however the DVLA does make the process clear.

If you are taking in a part exchange vehicle which happens to have a cherished plate, you will need to make sure the correct documentation is completed if the plate is not to be sold with the vehicle. If you are selling the cherished plate and are not the registered keeper of the vehicle, you must have the full consent of the registered keeper.

If a vehicle is to be scrapped and you wish to retain the registration plate, it must be transferred first or put on retention. If not, the registration plate will become void and the rights will subsequently be lost.

Roxanne Bradley

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.