Enforcement of a County Court Judgment (CCJ)


Enforcement Agents, the post 2014 term for bailiffs, can be instructed to collect a CCJ debt.

Author: Nona Bowkis
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 7 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

Our clients can find themselves on both sides of the County Court Judgment (CCJ) enforcement rules. They may have been to court as the Claimant, perhaps taking action against a supplier who sold them faulty goods, or as the Defendant in a case that a customer has bought regarding a vehicle.

Enforcement Agents, the post 2014 term for bailiffs, can be instructed to collect a CCJ debt. For CCJs over £600, the creditor (the person to whom the debt is owed) can apply to the High Court for the debt to enforced by High Court Enforcement Officers (HCEOs). Once the HCEOs are instructed, they move quickly as they are employed by private companies (albeit appointed under the High Court Enforcement Officers Regulations 2004) and so are profit driven meaning they will go all out to collect the debt and claim their commission for doing so.

Once the HCEOs are on your tail, you basically have two options, pay up or apply to the High Court for the enforcement to be stayed (suspended). If you do neither, the HCEOs will almost certainly start removing vehicles or other goods which they can sell to generate enough cash to cover the amount owed.

Applications to the High Court will cost £50 and have to be made on an N244. For urgent applications, you can ask the court for a Master (at the High Court in London) or a District Judge (at one of the regional ‘District Registries’ around the country) to hear the application straight away.  

It can be very stressful, time consuming and expensive once HCEOs get involved in debt collection and so the best advice, as always, is to seek help early if you are being taken to court.

Nona Bowkis

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.