Why has the County Court asked me to pay two fees

legal updates

Making an application to set aside judgment.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

This has been a recurring theme of late. We have seen many cases where certain Courts insist on payment of two fees in the total sum of £310.00 for what amounts to one application!

Anyone who has missed a Court deadline for the filing of an acknowledgment of service or defence and has received a default judgment, will be required to apply to the Court for an order setting aside the judgment, if appropriate.

Such application is made on form N244 upon payment of the appropriate fee. For general applications on notice to the other party where no other fee is specified the fee is £155.00.

When making an application to set aside judgment it is usually appropriate to apply for a stay of enforcement at the same time, pending the outcome of the primary application. One application form and one fee was always good enough, until recently.

An inexorable drive to make the Court Service self-funding has led to huge increases in Court fees over recent years and some ‘creative’ interpretations of the Fees Rules by certain Courts.

However, under Schedule 2, Fee 2.7 of the Civil Proceedings Fees (Amendment) Order 2014, ‘Where more than one remedy is sought in the same application only one fee is payable.’ So, if the Court suggests otherwise, complain.

Lawgistics members can get advice regarding court procedures and fees by contacting the Legal Team.

Wearewood Services LtdMotor Trade Web Specialists

We offer an all-encompassing web, digital & design service specially tailored to the Motor Industry.

Howard TilneyHead of Strategy / Legal AdvisorRead More by this author

Related Legal Updates

Court management service raises money for charity

Members can leave the legal worries to us and can focus on their core business of selling vehicles, running their service and repair garages, and/or MOT testing centres.

The law is not an exact science

We have all had surefire winners fail due to the smallest issue, but equally, we have all won cases that we had no right to.

Introduction of Small Claims Paper Determination Pilot Scheme

If you receive or issue a court claim which is subject to the pilot scheme, preparation of your claim or defence and statements will be crucial.

The real difference between claims under and over £10k

Litigation isn’t always just about having a strong argument, there are many factors that can help you win a case and reduce your risk.

See you in court… in a year or so…

Before deciding to issue or defend proceedings, it is important to consider how court delays may impact you as a business and as an individual.

Winning cases in court

The factors for the court to decide are: whether the breach was serious, why it occurred, and all other circumstances.

The court decided the case without me – what can I do?

The absent party first learns of the court session when they either receive the judgment from the court or are informed that there is a default on their credit file.

Get in touch

Complete the form to get in touch or via our details below:

01480 455500

Vinpenta House
High Causeway

By submitting this quote you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.