Can I sell a car under a credit agreement if I do not have a consumer credit licence?


A credit agreement will be exempt if it meets the following criteria...

Author: Howard Tilney
Reading time: 1 minute

This article is 5 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

The Government has introduced legislation which extends the exemption for instalment credit.

A credit agreement will be exempt if it meets the following criteria:

•    it is repayable by no more than 12 instalments (eg. monthly), and within a period of no more than 12 months;
•    it is a borrower-lender-supplier agreement (i.e. it finances the acquisition of specific goods or services);
•    it is for a fixed amount;
•    it involves no charges or interest (eg. no administration fee);
•    it is not secured on land;
•    it is not an agreement financing the purchase of land;
•    it is not a conditional sale or HP agreement; or
•    it is not a pawn agreement.

Dealers that only enter into, or broker agreements, which meet the relevant criteria do not need to be authorised for consumer credit activities unless they carry on any other kind of credit related regulated activity.

It is the responsibility of dealers to determine whether and how they may be affected by this exemption.

In the event of any doubt then you should seek independent legal advice, as required.

Howard Tilney

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.