Bailiff Fees


Here is a list of the fees that High Court Enforcement Officers can legitimately charge when collecting a debt.

Author: Nona Bowkis
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 7 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

Following on from our previous article on the Enforcement of County Court Judgments (CCJs), here is a list of the fees that High Court Enforcement Officers (HCEOs or bailiffs in the old terminology) can legitimately charge when collecting a debt.

Firstly, you should be sent an enforcement notice which gives you 7 clear days notice of the intention to visit. If an HCEO turns up unannounced, you should ask them for proof that they have sent the required notice. Sadly, if the police are called (usually on the basis they are there to prevent a breach of the peace), they may not be aware of these rules which were all updated in April 2014 and so you will have to persuade them that the HCEO is not allowed to pursue their actions.  

The initial fee that can be charged is £75 and so if you receive an enforcement notice and pay the debt prior to a visit, you should only be paying the HCEO £75 in fees.

If a Controlled Goods Agreement is made (where the HCEO takes control of your goods but does not remove them), they can charge £190 and 7.5% of any CCJ owed over £1000.

If a Controlled Goods Agreement is not made or one was made but the debtor (the person who owes the money) has failed to keep to the terms of the Agreement, then the HCEO can add £495 to the £190, 7.5% and £75 fees.

If goods are removed another £525 can be added, again with a 7.5% charge for anything over £1000.

VAT should not be charged on top of those fees. 

Nona Bowkis

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.