Cutting Electricity and Gas Charges


You need to be aware that when you move into a property you need to arrange a new contract.

Author: Dennis Chapman
Reading time: 1 minute

This article is 10 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

We get a lot of bombardment by price checking sites to cut down our domestic utility bills but did you know that will do the very same service for energy suppliers to business.   

On 30 July 2012 they quoted their best rates as;

  • Gas: 2.793p/kwh
  • Electricity: 8.76p/kwh

Check your bill and see what you are paying.

You need to be aware that when you move into a property you need to arrange a new contract.  If you don’t then you will often be charged ‘out of contract’ rates which are invariably significantly higher.  The previous tenants energy suppliers will continue to provide energy until you renegotiate or switch.

If you don’t know who your current supplier is then for Gas call 0870 608 1524 (xoserve) for Electricity you need to contact your local Meter Point Advisory Service (MPAS) (use a search engine). They will also give you your 21 digit supply number (MPAN).

If you need a one point helpline ring 0800 008 7772

Dennis Chapman

In remembrance of Dennis Chapman 1951 -2015

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.