Close your eyes and listen…


If music is played in a public place then you must have a licence for it.

Author: Stephanie Strachan
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 7 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

Are you playing music in your show room? Are your mechanics listening to the radio right now whilst working?

If so are you correctly licensed to do this? We have recently been contacted by a number of our clients who are falling foul of the licensing laws.

If music is played in a public place then you must have a licence for it. This covers all sorts of situations including music in your showrooms, in your garage, playing music from a computer in an office or even from your mobile phone, in fact, almost anywhere which is not a domestic home. Music is not limited to solely radio. It also includes CD’s, downloads, iTunes, TV broadcasting, even radio shows that don’t play music but do have jingles on them.

It is clearly quite thorough so we recommend that you check whether any of the above apply, and if you do not have a licence then get one sharpish!

So why do they charge?

Quite rightly, artists and record companies want to protect their intellectual property. There are two licences which you must have and these are the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and the PPL (Phonographic Performance Ltd) licences- These separately collect the licence fees and distribute them to the artists and record companies who were responsible for creating the music.

Prices vary depending on the size of your business and how you play music so you will need to contact PPL and PRS to obtain the fees that will apply for your business. If you fail to do so you will have this year’s fee to pay and also possible charges!

Stephanie Strachan

In remembrance of Stephanie Strachan 1990-2020

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.