The issue of a P45


How much income tax has been deducted?

Author: Roxanne Bradley
Reading time: 1 minute

This article is 3 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

When an employee is leaving your employment, you must provide them with a P45, if you are employing a new employee you also should obtain their P45 given by their ex-employer.

A P45 confirms the employee’s personal tax code, Pay As you Earn reference number, National Insurance Number, leaving date, earnings from your employment in the current tax year and how much income tax has been deducted from those earnings.

If the employee is leaving, whilst it may not always be possible to provide the P45 on their last working day, a P45 can be forwarded. You are obligated to do so “on the day on which the employment ceases or, if that is not practicable, without unreasonable delay”.

HMRC states it would consider unreasonable if the P45 was not provided to the employee immediately after tax and any other deductions are calculated for their final pay period.

If you have a new employee starting and they have lost their P45, you will need to use a P46 instead. The employee will need to claim a tax refund.

Roxanne Bradley

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.