New laws on petrol filling stations

legal updates

If you held a licence to store petrol on 1st October 2014 they remain valid until expiry dates.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

There are new regulations The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 affecting those motor dealers/repairers who also sell petrol.  From 1st October 2014 you will need a Petroleum Storage Certificate. 

If you held a licence to store petrol on 1st October 2014 they remain valid until expiry dates. 

Businesses need to be aware that if a significant change at the site occurs before the expiry of the licence then you will be required to convert over to one of the new certificates.  Such changes (‘prescribed material changes’) include:

  • Taking one or more tanks out of use or removing/decommissioning it
  • Installing/moving a tank, pipework, petrol pump or dispenser
  • Change of use to store petrol where previously, storage was kerosene or diesel

The PEA (Petroleum Enforcement Authority) must be notified of such alterations at least 28 days before the work is commenced.

The PEA will require site drawings when a certificate is issued if not already available.

A storage certificate will become invalid if petrol is not kept at the premises for longer than 12 months.

No one under 16 can operate a petrol pump and supplies to anyone under 16 are illegal.

Only ‘suitable’ portable containers can be filled with petrol (plastic-10L max/metal-20L max).

Wearewood Services LtdMotor Trade Web Specialists

We offer an all-encompassing web, digital & design service specially tailored to the Motor Industry.

Dennis ChapmanIn remembrance of Dennis Chapman 1951 -2015Read More by this author

Related Legal Updates

E10 fuel to replace petrol and what it means?

Unlike with petrol/diesel misfuelling, a one-off mistake at the pumps is not likely to cause any lasting damage, providing the correct fuel is used as soon as possible.

Get in touch

Complete the form to get in touch or via our details below:

01480 455500

Vinpenta House
High Causeway

By submitting this quote you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.