Going solo! attending court


If you go it alone you will be known as a ‘litigant in person’.

Author: Howard Tilney
Reading time: 1 minute

This article is 4 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

You have the right to speak for yourself in court without a solicitor or any other legal representation. Different courts and rules apply in Scotland.

There maybe good reason to do this, in the interest of saving costs or if you wish to speak with the Judge directly.

If you go it alone you will be known as a ‘litigant in person’. In a civil case you will also be referred to as either a ‘claimant’ or a ‘defendant’, depending on whether you have brought the case or you are responding to it. Again, the terminology is different in Scotland.

However, sometimes it is helpful to take a legal representative along with you. This could be a barrister (sometimes referred to as counsel) or an agent solicitor or other legal representative.

Representation can be costly but such costs are usually recoverable from the losing party if the claim is valued in excess of £10,000.

It is always a good idea to seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity to help with your case, even if you choose to represent yourself before the Court.

Otherwise, the key to success before the Courts is the three P’s. Preparation, preparation, preparation.

Howard Tilney

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.