Coming up in April 2017…


It is the employer’s responsibility to retain records showing the minimum wage is being paid to employees.

Author: Roxanne Bradley
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 5 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

Both the National Minimum wage and the National Living Wage is set to increase from April 2017. All employers need to ensure they are paying the minimum.

The rates from 1 April 2017 will be:

•    £7.50 per hour – 25 years old and over
•    £7.05 per hour – 21-24 years’ old
•    £5.60 per hour – 18-20 years’ old
•    £4.05 per hour – 16-17 years’ old
•    £3.50 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.

If a company is not paying the minimum, HMRC officers have the authority to carry out checks at any time and request to see payment records. They can also investigate employers if a worker complains directly to them. If the HMRC find that the employer is not paying the minimum, then they can send a notice for the arrears owed as well as a fine. If this is still refused by the employer, HMRC can issue proceedings on behalf of the employee.

The employee themselves could also file a claim via an employment tribunal or via the County Court. In County court the employee will have up to 6 years to bring a claim from the last date of when they were under paid where’s as employment tribunal has a much shorter time scale of 3 months less one day. If an employer dismisses an employee if they are trying to assert their right to the minimum wage then they would also have a case against the employee for unfair dismissal.

It is the employer’s responsibility to retain records showing the minimum wage is being paid to employees. This can be done via their payroll as evidence and the records must be kept for 3 years

Roxanne Bradley

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.