Agency Workers


Once the worker is on your site, you must provide the induction training.

Author: Roxanne Bradley
Reading time: 2 minutes

This article is 5 years old.

Read our disclaimer keyboard_arrow_down

This website content is intended as a general guide to law as it applies to the motor trade. Lawgistics has taken every effort to ensure that the contents are as accurate and up to date as at the date of first publication.

The laws and opinions expressed within this website may be varied as the law develops. As such we cannot accept liability for or the consequence of, any change of law, or official guidelines since publication or any misuse of the information provided.

The opinions in this website are based upon the experience of the authors and it must be recognised that only the courts and recognised tribunals can interpret the law with authority.

Examples given within the website are based on the experience of the authors and centre upon issues that commonly give rise to disputes. Each situation in practice will be different and may comprise several points commented upon.

If you have any doubt about the correct legal position you should seek further legal advice from Lawgistics or a suitably qualified solicitor. We cannot accept liability for your failure to take professional advice where it should reasonably be sought by a prudent person.

All characters are fictitious and should not be taken as referring to any person living or dead.

Use of this website shall be considered acceptance of the terms of the disclaimer presented above.

If you employ the use of agency workers then you will still have a responsibility for their safety but the agencies are obliged to assist.

Firstly, you must specify the qualifications, skills or abilities which are required. The agency is required to pass on this information to their workers but you also have a legal duty to pass on the same information directly. You can request the agency to confirm in writing the candidate fits your criteria and request relevant copies of the qualification or skill required.

Once the worker is on your site, you must provide the induction training. Make it clear to the worker which tasks they are authorised to carry out and supervise them to ensure they follow the guidelines/rules.

As you are hiring the worker, it is your responsibility to carry out the risk assessment of the work to be undertaken. The agency must also ensure they understand the risks and the steps taken to control them. A good tip is to supply the agency with copies of the relevant risk assessments and remind them in writing that they must pass the contents to the applicable workers.

If PPE is required such as steel toe cap boots or ‘high viz’ clothing, then you must ensure that them worker has it and wears them. Agency workers should have it provided free of charge by the agency but in practice, you’ll probably need to pitch in. Protecting the workers on your site is your responsibility and you need to ensure protection is adequate.

Roxanne Bradley

Legal Advisor

Read more by this author

Getting in touch

You can contact us via the form or you can call us on 01480 455500.