Legal Article - Business Law

Tort of Conversion - How much can the Finance Company Claim?

If someone sells or otherwise disposes of a car to which they do not own, or have title, they fall foul of the tort of conversion.

A typical scenario may be a car passing through the hands of a dealer which is worth £1000 but £1500 is outstanding to the finance company. How much can the finance company claim? A similar case was heard on appeal and it was held that the proper measure of damages is the market value of the goods or the amount still owing under the agreement whichever is the less.

Check with your insurer or broker for insurance cover for conversion.

Published: 10 Mar 2011


To ensure you are a real person signing up and to prevent automated signups (spamming) could we ask you to copy the letters and numbers shown below into the box.

(cAse SeNSItivE!)

There are no comments

Share this Article

Related Articles